Leadership programs have been a chamber staple in Cabarrus County since the 1980s. After merging the Cabarrus County Chamber and Kannapolis Chamber in 1998, Leadership Cabarrus has flourished as part of The Chamber, Leading Business in Cabarrus. To date, the program has welcomed more than 700 participants representing 200+ companies! We are most grateful to the alumni who volunteer on the Steering Committee to keep the program vibrant and relevant.
Leadership Cabarrus is a program designed for business and community leaders in mid- to upper-level positions with experience. Goals are to educate and enhance awareness of the assets, resources and needs within the Cabarrus County region. Through a series of monthly class days from September through May, participants are introduced to and examine how leadership in the historical, geographical, educational, economic, governmental and cultural segments work together to perpetuate and advance the Cabarrus County region and its citizens.
The program is also designed to nurture and engage the leadership skills of current and potential leaders. In a stimulating atmosphere that fosters diverse viewpoints, results will be innovative answers to the critical questions facing our community. The program’s focus is creating awareness and connecting leaders to the issues; it is not an academic leadership training program. Further, the program is not political and does not recommend and advocate policy positions on public matters.
• To inspire and identify current and future community leaders.
• To enhance leadership skills and qualities of participants through in-depth views of the county.
• To encourage conversation and communication among present and future leaders.
• To assist those already in leadership roles to increase their access to additional positions of community leadership in an informed and responsible manner.
• To motivate and encourage participants to assume leadership roles in community affairs.
This is an exceptional program requiring dedicated attendance. The program requires a commitment to attend a two-day team building retreat in August and nine, day-long (7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.) monthly sessions, the third Tuesday of the month, September through May. Eight hours of absence will be excused, but should time be missed after that, the participant will not graduate from the program, and there will be no refund of tuition.
These days are rigorous and planned to inform participants as much as possible. This requires total participation by classmates with no distractions. If you have responsibilities that may keep you from this commitment, this program may not be a good fit for you.
Application to Leadership Cabarrus is open to persons who live or work in Cabarrus County, with priority consideration and placement given to Chamber members. All applicants will be notified of status by July 24, 2020.
Applicants must have the full support of the company or organization by which they are employed, with the applicant’s supervisor aware of the time required away from work for the program.
Here at the dates for the Class of 2021:
• August 26 and 27 Class Retreat
• September 15 History of Cabarrus County
• October 20 Economic Development
• November 17 Law Enforcement and the Courts
• December 15 Local Government
• January 19 Communications and the Media
• February 16 Education and Workforce Development
• March 16 Health and Human Services
• April 20 Tourism and Sports
• May 18 Quality of Life
The class is also responsible for the creation and completion of a class legacy project that and benefits the community and will require additional time to the class days.
• Applications must be submitted online through the Chamber’s website, Cabarrus.biz and ONE letter of reference uploaded with it; no other attachments are necessary.
• Limit answers to the space provided.
• Final candidates will be selected based on highest application scoring. Chamber members are given priority placement and consideration.
• Selected applicants will receive an acceptance notification by July 24, after which tuition payment of $900 is required by August 14. Non-Chamber member tuition payment is $1,250, subject to availability.
The Leadership Cabarrus class shall be selected on following criteria (Chamber members receive priority consideration and placement.):
• Representation from the greatest breadth of diversity in all socio-economic areas.
• Demonstrated ability to set and achieve personal and professional goals.
• Demonstrated personal commitment to the Cabarrus County community and society in general.
• A commitment to the time required by the program.
• A commitment to be a responsible and engaged participant, including the class project.
• Announced candidates for public office may not “campaign” and/or use class time to promote their candidacy in any way.
Leadership Cabarrus is a competitive program and submission of an application does not guarantee placement. All applications are reviewed by the Leadership Cabarrus Steering Committee, comprised of program alumni who work closely with the program to continually update the days to make sure they are relevant and meaningful. Applications must be received by Friday, June 28th at 5:00 p.m.
Class Presented by: