Please read the following information regarding program purpose, class dates, program objectives, program information, instructions/selection and selection criteria before completing the application form below. If you are a small business owner or employee of a nonprofit and would like to apply for the Leadership Cabarrus scholarships by May 31, please fill out the alternate application found here.
Leadership Cabarrus is a program designed for business and community leaders in mid- to upper-level positions with experience. Goals are to educate and enhance awareness of the assets, resources and needs within the Cabarrus County region. Through a series of monthly class days from September through May, participants are introduced to and examine how leadership in the historical, geographical, educational, economic, governmental and cultural segments work together to perpetuate and advance the Cabarrus County region and its citizens.
The program is also designed to nurture and engage the leadership skills of current and potential leaders. In an atmosphere that is stimulating and fosters diverse viewpoints, results will be innovative answers to the critical questions facing our community. The program’s focus is creating awareness and connecting leaders to the issues; it is not an academic leadership training program. Further, the program is not political and does not recommend and advocate policy positions on public matters.
This is an exceptional program requiring dedicated attendance. The program requires a commitment to attend a one-day team building retreat (August 29) and nine, day-long (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) monthly sessions, the third Tuesday of the month, September through May. Eight hours of absence will be excused, but should time missed after that, the participant will not graduate from the program, and there will be no refund of tuition.
Dates for the Class of 2020:
• August 29 - Class Retreat
• September 17 - History of Cabarrus County
• October 15 - Economic Development
• November 19 - Law Enforcement and the Courts
• December 17 - Local Government
• January 21 - Communications and the Media
• February 18 - Education and Workforce Development
• March 17 - Health and Human Services
• April 21 - Economic Impact of Sports
• May 19 - A Sustainable Community
The class is also responsible for the creation and completion of a class legacy project that addresses and benefits the community and will require additional time to the class days.
• To inspire and identify current and future community leaders.
• To enhance leadership skills and qualities of participants through in-depth views of the county.
• To stimulate communication among present and future leaders.
• To assist those already in leadership roles to increase their access to additional positions of community leadership in an informed and responsible manner.
• To motivate and encourage participants to assume leadership roles in community affairs.
Application to Leadership Cabarrus is open to persons who live or work in Cabarrus County, with priority given to Chamber members. All applicants will be notified of status by July 26, 2019.
Applicants must have the full support of the company or organization by which they are employed, with the applicant’s supervisor aware of the time required away from work for the program.
Attendance at all of the sessions is expected. Should a participant miss more than a total of eight (8) hours, she/he can still continue the program but will not graduate.
• Applications must be submitted online through the Chamber’s website, Cabarrus.biz and ONE letter of reference uploaded with it; no other attachments are necessary.
• Limit answers to the space provided.
• Final candidates will be selected based on highest application scoring.
• Selected applicants will receive an acceptance notification by July 26, after which tuition payment of $900 is required by August 15. Non-Chamber member tuition payment is $1,250, subject to availability.
Helpful tip for using this online form: Type your answer for each question in a Word Document or Notepad first and copy/paste them into the online form when you are ready. In the event of technical difficulty, having this back up means you will not have to start from scratch! After you hit the submit button at the bottom of the form, please make sure you see a Thank You page acknowledging your submission.
• The Leadership Cabarrus class shall be selected on following criteria (Chamber members receive priority consideration.):
• Representation from the greatest breadth of diversity in all socio-economic areas.
• Demonstrated ability to set and achieve personal and professional goals.
• Demonstrated personal commitment to the Cabarrus County community and society in general.
• A commitment to the time required by the program.
• A commitment to be a responsible and engaged participant, including the class project.
• Announced candidates for public office may not “campaign” and/or use class time to promote their candidacy in any way.
Leadership Cabarrus is a competitive program and submission of an application does not guarantee placement. All applications are reviewed by the Leadership Cabarrus Steering Committee, comprised of program alumni who work closely with the program to continually update the days to make sure they are relevant and meaningful. Applications must be received by Friday, June 28th at 5 p.m.